The Weatherization Assistance Program is a federally funded program that is targets low- income families in single family homes and multi-unit developments. HCDC can determine eligibility if a homeowner or a minimum of sixty percent of the tenants in a particular building meet established income guidelines. The main objective of the weatherization program is to reduce energy usage costs and increase the comfort and safety of all occupants.
Once eligibility is established, HCDC’s Weatherization staff will conduct an energy audit and as a result, develop a work-scope which may include any of the following safety and energy efficiency measures:
- heating system upgrades
- roof insulation
- window replacement
- energy efficient lighting upgrades
- refrigerator replacement
- smoke and carbon monoxide detector installation
- installation of exterior lights
The weatherization program is funded by the U.S. Department of Energy and the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services and is administered by the New York State Division of Homes and Community Renewal. HCDC believes that weatherization is a great investment as every $1 invested in the program yields $1.65 in energy-related benefits.
Before any work may begin, Harlem Community Development Corporation collects income information from as many tenants as possible. All information that is collected for this program is protected by the Federal Privacy Act.
YOUR RENT MAY NOT BE INCREASED FOR SERVICE THAT THE WEATHERIZATION ASSISTANCE PROGRAM HAS PROVIDED.
Weatherization benefits the community on the whole. How?
- Weatherization creates jobs for energy professionals and private contractors.
- Harlem CDC’s Weatherization Assistance Program educates consumers about energy efficient practices.
- Weatherization decreases energy demand, thereby reducing power plant emissions.
- Weatherization creates an empowered community.
- Weatherization reduces the nation’s dependence on imported oil.